Friday, July 17, 2009

Tuesday - Song Mountain

So it turns out that my hamstrings have never taken quite the beating
they received on Sunday – although the front of my legs were mostly
recovered, my hamstrings felt just as sore as they did yesterday, and
this is 2 days later. Workout again at 5:30. At breakfast, had some
interesting soybean drink, which was a bit thicker than soymilk.
Wrote some of my report following that.
Scenery on the mountain was beautiful, especially the temples lining
the way up. Very foggy up top in the morning – at some flatter
points, impossible to tell I was on a mountain given the amount of
fog. Also passed an interesting spot where large characters were
painted on the side of a cliff face – I think the painter rappelled
down to it. One thing I gradually noticed was that the great majority
of the path, all the way up to the summit, was paved (with especially
flat stones) and had staircases built in. It must have taken a large
amount of effort to create such a smooth path all the way up,
especially in terms of carrying materials. Passed, was passed by, and
talked with laborers taking bricks and other building materials up and
down. One laborer mentioned it was his job to deliver a load of
materials from the bottom of the mountain to the top, twice a day.
The way down was much easier, especially compared to backpacking
downhill, as I didn't have a large pack. Fogginess cleared up a bit,
could see sun at some points. Got back a bit later than expected.
Overall fun, very interesting. Returned to the school, ate dinner,
worked on my report, and slept.

No comments:

Post a Comment