Monday, August 24, 2009

A post I made a few weekends ago, but forgot to actually post

Some more on Chinese food: For some reason, many products formed into
blocks are classified as "tofu". This is sometimes wildly misleading,
as this includes such things as curdled duck and pig blood ("red
tofu"), and fish/starch blocks. Also, it occurred to me that one of
the most common Chinese dishes - tomatoes stirfried with eggs - is one
that I have never seen in Chinese restaurants in America. Kind of a
shame, as it's a simple yet tasty dish, not to mention inexpensive and
healthy.
Every so often, I discover some facet of Chinese language culture that
reminds me that I am, in fact, living with people from a different
culture. For example, in America, to describe something is "like the
stars" means that it is beautiful, but in China it means that it is
numerous/commonly found, because there are a lot of stars, and each
one looks roughly alike. Thus, in China, comparing someone to stars
to tell them you think they're pretty is a bad idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment