Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Ashok violates customs of his home country, is rewarded for his efforts

So I just got back from eating on the Muslim Street. Street food
tends to rank among the best I've gotten in China (never eat uncooked
vegetables or anything left unattended, and that contains most of the
safety tips). I also just saw someone selling kites fly a 60-meter
string with small kites strung along it. 60 meters is pretty long.
My ability to speak passable Chinese has drawn me into situations as
an interlocuter several times - about half an hour ago, I helped some
French backpackers figure out how to order food at a stall. I think
I've actually seen more Europeans than Americans on my trip so far.
One thing I enjoy in particular about the sweets I've had here so far
is that they aren't overwhelmingly sweet, but are mildly so.
Many districts have a local street where food vendors gather.
However, the ones near the front can attach a notable price premium,
simply because they are in front and often people go to the first
thing that looks good - it would take a lot of time to travel the
whole street, especially with the crowds (also, many foods are
similar). For example, the price of a skewer of meat might be 10 kuai
right at the front of the street, but decrease to 3 kuai further back.
Anyhow, this morning I took a bus to the train station and then took a
1.5 or so hour bus ride to Huaqing Hot Springs, where I took a look
around and ate lunch. I took another bus to the Terra-Cotta Warriors.
The sight of the warriors was impressive, but I think the most
impressive facet was the Qin dynasty's level of technology - some of
the bronze weapons where chrome-plated, a process developed by German
in 1937 and the US in 1950 - thousands of years later.
The title of this post comes from my bid to get on the bus home -
while queueing in China isn't non-existent, in some places it's
expected that you scrum around a location, for example, trying to buy
a ticket, or, in my case, board a bus. Maneuvering (sometimes not
entirely by my own volition) my way through the crowd and noticing a
ferocity in some old ladies not normally seen in old ladies, I managed
to snag a seat for the ride home.

No comments:

Post a Comment