Friday, August 21, 2009

Ashok screws up his Circadian rhythms

Recently came back from Mt. Hua. I originally planned to get there in
the morning, climb to the East Peak, stay the night and watch the sun
rise from there, but I got to the base of the mountain later than I
expected, and, furthermore, learn that most people climb at night.
Since it's hot during the day, and food/lodging on the mountain is
very expensive, many choose to start the climb at around 11 or so,
getting to the east peak at sunrise. So, I slept in a hotel room at
the base for 8 hours (or tried - I might have only spent the first
hour actually asleep) and woke up at 10. Ate a meal (not sure how to
label it), then made my trip up the mountain with two women from
Jiangsu province. The climb was more difficult than Mt. Song, which I
climbed during the Shaolin Temple trip - much steeper, longer, and had
to hold on to chains on the sides of the path most of the time. Got
to the top at about 5, stayed for about an hour watching the sun rise,
then walked along the ridge back to a cable car station.

No comments:

Post a Comment