Monday, June 29, 2009

Wudaokou (written Saturday evening)

Explored Wudaokou yesterday evening, a shopping center and
entertainment center which a lot of students and expats frequent. I
started by trying to find a heavily Korean-owned neighborhood which
"Baba" described on a side street I went down, but no luck. I
proceeded west, passing by movie theaters, street sellers selling
fruits and sauteed skewered meats and various goods (handbags and
beads, for example), and a large mall. Around this time I walked down
an alley with a lot of restaurants and shops using Korean writing,
which I think was the street Baba mentioned. Walking further west, I
passed by more shops and apartment buildings and food sellers,
including several American chains like Pizza Hut (Bishengke) and KFC
(Kendeji), and an American-style bakery, as well as Chinese places.
Near the mall area, I went to a kind of food court place outdoors,
with sellers framing a central area, where I got a hot pot dinner – I
selected vegetables, noodles, and meats, and these were boiled in a
clear broth and then put into sesame sauce and hot peppers. I talked
with two Koreans working in China, spending a little while explaining
the nature of the summer program – they mostly used English, so our
relative understanding of Mandarin was about on par (though one used
"s" instead of "sh", so he wasn't using a Beijing accent). Afterward,
I went into the mall to find a particularly spicy restaurant one of
the teachers mentioned, and saw a large supermarket in the mall
basement.
Social study options were displayed – I'm thinking of going to
Shanghai, the Shaolin temple, or Inner Mongolia.

No comments:

Post a Comment